Monday, May 4, 2015

Pumpkin soup with some spice and a coconut twist

I've been feeling exceptionally shit lately. My anxiety is dreadful at the moment, and I am struggling.

I am recognising that I am eating my emotions and have stacked on the weight. The last few days I have made a pact with myself to move more, and stop binging on crap. I need to drink more water too.

In February I started #flourishinfebruary. For the month I posted three things that went well every day. When February was over I stopped. I shouldn't have stopped, although it's been in the back of my mind ever since. 

In an anxious mind, it's easy to let the trivial shit take over. It takes a lot of mental energy to keep an even keel. Especially when I don't have a lot of understanding, emotional support. So I am going to start doing that again. I found the feedback very supportive.




One way I like to keep busy is cooking stuff. I did that yesterday. Izzy actually did me a huge favour, she put the radio on. I made pumpkin soup, potato bake and a chocolate cake. I really enjoyed doing it with some music. Why don't I do that more?

I've gotten out in the garden the last couple of days too and have realised just how unfit I am. I need to look after me a bit better. I am worthy. My kids are worthy, of a healthy, happy mum. At the moment I am not happy and not healthy. I am not being the best me.

My future if I don't look after myself, is certain diabetes. It would not surprise me if I am knocking on it's door to tell the truth.

I made this for lunch yesterday. It turned out great so I'm sharing the recipe.

This makes heaps. Feel free to halve the recipe.

I served it with a dollop of plain yogurt, some chilli oil and fresh coriander. It's very tasty.

If you don't have chilli oil, add a little with the other spices at the start. 



1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon garam masala
2 cm piece of ginger, peeled and grated
2 tablespoons of chopped coriander stalks*
1 x 165 ml tin of coconut milk (I used Pandaroo Lite)
1 kilo of peeled and chopped pumpkin
4-5 cups of water or stock, to cover pumpkin

Heat oil in a large saucepan, add onion and celery. Fry until softened.

Add garlic, ginger, coriander stalks, turmeric and garam masala, and stir for a minute. Pour in coconut milk, stir and add water.

Bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes.

Take off the heat and blitz with a stick blender.

Serve.

*When I buy fresh coriander from the supermarket, I freeze the leftover stalks and roots. You could plant some in the garden. Right now is a good time.


16 comments:

  1. I do hope you are feeling better quickly. I am also a sufferer of anxiety and it's a horrid thing. I am feeling brilliant now after seeking treatment which was just the absolute best thing I ever took the time to do! I sleep now which is wonderful! (Mine really kicked in after a car accident last year.) I hope you feel yourself again soon Alicia. X. Your soup looks amazing too - great minds think alike it seems - I started on soups again this weekend just gone. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really been getting into the soups lately, and enjoying them.
      Anxiety is a bitch, life would be so much better if I didn't have to deal with it.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a little holiday in a bowl. I hope you feel better soon. May you flourish this month too (see what I did there?? May, geddit?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lydia, I am going to try like hell to flourish x

      Delete
  3. Pumpkin soup is one of my absolute cold weather favourite meals! It is so comforting to eat! I hope you start feeling better this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! I just love Pumpkin soup! One of my favourite things about winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a good pumpkin soup so will have to give this recipe a go for sure!
    Am sorry to hear that you are not feeling well but glad that you have found something to keep you occupied and feeling a little better! Turn that music up and have a good ol' dance/cook off!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anxiety is pretty shite. I hope something happens today that will give you a big boost in emotional strength, Alicia.
    On a side note, your info about planting coriander now is very interesting. I usually plant it in spring/summer with other herbs and it goes to seed really quickly. I'm going to try planting some now, as i really love coriander in Asian salads and stir-fries. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coriander usually goes better in the colder months. The warm weather does make it bolt to seed. You can still use the seeds in cooking though, so keep them, and the stalks!

      Delete
  7. Anxiety sucks balls! Thankfully it's been keeping it's head buried around here lately, and I think as long as I can keep on top of my Tafe work and everything else I need to get done it will stay that way. Fingers crossed!

    Your Pumpkin Soup sounds delicious! I have pinned it so that Dave can come back to it later, he's been sooking at me about having soup for the last week now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds delicious, a nice twist on pumpkin soup. I also need to look after myself more and stop with the emotional eating. I hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Alicia! I have missed many weeks linking up here...life is too crazy and some days I'm overwhelmed. The most I've done on my blog is to keep up my weekend blog party. I'd love to do more, just not enough time or energy. I'm glad to be back here though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you here Paula! I know the feeling of being overwhelmed. I try not to put too much pressure on myself these days.

      Delete

Thanks for so much visiting, and even more so for leaving a friendly comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...