Monday, December 9, 2013

Valmas chocolate pudding

I like old fashioned recipes. Ones that come from old cookbooks that use simple ingredients, nothing too fancy. 

I have a couple that I go to quite often, a local pony club cookbook and a centenary cookbook put out by a local school, both from the eighties and both scavenged from garage sales. 

Fair enough though that they are from an era when food was a bit 'boring'. Remember seeing or eating a prawn cocktail of the early eighties? But all the recipes that are within are tried and tested family favourites, that I am sure, at the time, Mums and kids were bursting with pride and excitement to share, as their respective names appeared at the bottom of each recipe.

I love myself a good self saucing pudding, I made this one last week. Most self saucing pudding require a water bath, this one doesn't and there is no separating eggs and whipping egg whites.

 It's a recipe provided by Valma Clark, from the Beachport Pony Club family favourites cookbook, circa mid 1980s I think. For all I know Valma may well be long gone, but her recipe lives on :)

I you're into experimenting, a cherry spin on this recipe would be great for Christmas :)




1 cup SR flour
2 teaspoons cocoa
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons margarine
1 egg
1/2 cup milk

Sauce:
1/2 cup brown sugar(if you don't have it use white)
1 dessertspoon cocoa
300 mls boiling water

Sift flour, cocoa and add sugar. Stir melted margarine into flour mixture.
Add beaten egg and milk. Mix and pour into pie dish.

Combine brown sugar and cocoa, sprinkle on top of pudding mix in dish. Pour boiling water gently over this.
Bake in a 200 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Serve with cream or icecream.

Have you ever added your own family recipe to a book?

Don't you think a Christmas recipe book would be a great end of year fundraiser for a club or school?


7 comments:

  1. The pudding looks great! I have a few books like that too. I get most of my recipes these days from the net but it's not the same. I still have a drawer full of cookbooks though. have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum Yum Yum. I love a good chocolate pudding. I have a handful of my fave recipe books and I love the free ones from Coles and Woolies. I haven't ever added a family recipe to a book but I do remember when I was young, the Mums at school used to put one together in the days before photocopiers where they had the ink printers and the book was stapled together. Must find it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember those printers, the smell! I love the fact the pudding bakes and miraculously it comes with its own sauce :)

      Delete
  3. Its one of our favourite things too. I use a recipe from when my girls were in childcare years ago - Dymph Stringer used to be the cook there. Its a really ooey gooey chocolatey one - I might try and get a recipe up for it soon. Another one I did post about is a Women's Weekly one from June 2011. The link is here and there's a butterscotch one in the same post. Comfort food for a June night!

    http://www.simplyjoolz.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/i-completely-forgot-to-check-out-lunar.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big fan of simple unfussy recipes like this! I'm going to rummage my pantry and make this one right now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for so much visiting, and even more so for leaving a friendly comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...