Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pumpkin pizza

It's pumpkin season, try this for something different while it is cheap and readily available.

Pizza dough(enough for about 3 pizzas)
1 1/2 cups water
2 sachet yeast (about 15 grams)
1 teaspoon salt
Mix together and leave until foamy, about 5-10 minutes
Add 2 cups, from 4 cups of flour, and mix in, add rest. Stir to combine, then knead until smooth.
Place in a bowl and cover with a tea towel in a warm place and let sit for about 30 minutes.

Roast some sliced pumpkin until soft, I used the pizza tray to do this as a guide to how much pumpkin I would need. It should take about 15- 20 minutes.

Spread the pizza base thickly, about a centimetre or more thick, with the white sauce and arrange the pumpkin, then sprinkle with fresh rosemary.

White cheese sauce
2 tablespoons butter.
Saute half a small onion and a clove of garlic in the butter.
Add 3 tablespoons flour and stir to combine.
Add a little from 2 cups of milk, and keep adding a little at a time and whisk after
each addition to a smooth consistency.
Stir until it thickens.
Take off heat and stir in 120 grams of grated cheese, salt and pepper.

I used tasty cheese, if you have any other fancy pants cheese, add it instead or combine for a burst of flavour. 

Instead of pumpkin, I used sauteed mushroom and thyme on one of the pizzas.

Serve drizzled with a little olive oil, and garnish with some fresh rocket or spinach.






Mushroom and white cheese sauce with thyme 
You'll probably have cheese sauce left over:

  • use it to make broccoli and/or cauliflower cheese
  • add prawns and whatever other seafood to make a neptune topping for steak (we love to use lobster in cray season; that's if and when Boggy can catch them.
  • Make a mornay with fish (atlantic salmon, prawns or just tinned tuna). Make a pie. Or just chuck in a casserole dish and bake with a packet of cheese and onion chips scrunched up on top. Bit yummy :)
When the moon hits your eye
Like a big fishy pie
That's... a mornay

Nope? Sorry......ahem.....I'm going now ;)


13 comments:

  1. Oh I shared something today on kiwi because it's in season too! Haha. I love pumpkin but never tried it with pizza. Thanks for the recipe

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
  2. that pizza looks yummy! I used pumpkin for quiche and risotto and good ole faithful pumpkin soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very yummy pizza for something different. I love it in risotto too. It's a shame the kids won't eat more of it.

      Delete
  3. Looks delicious! We use white sauce on our pizzas all of the time. I would love it! Pumpkin soup is my all time fav use of pumpkin. #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't had it at all. My mum made this on one of her pizza nights and I didn't try it, so I decided to make it myself :)

      Delete
  4. Looks delicious! I have pinned it and will hopefully make it next week. I am sure the kids will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear your kids would love it, Izzy screwed her nose up lol. She had only just started eating normal pizzas, let alone ones with vegetables on them :)

      Delete
  5. This looks really good. I have never considered adding cheese sauce to a pizza. Brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummo, can I cheap and buy bases?? I do love me a bit of pumpkin! And that cheese sauce idea, bet my kids would like it more than pizza sauce
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your little helper. Isn't great when kids are psyched to cook and help out in the kitchen? We will reap the rewards in the future ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my that sounds divine ... love roast pumpkin ... bookmarking this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Pumpkin - love pizza - would have never thought to put the two together

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM, YUM, YUM!This looks fantastic. And I love your ideas for the left over sauce :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for so much visiting, and even more so for leaving a friendly comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...