Monday, February 18, 2013

Potato Bake


This is the potato bake, or scalloped spud recipe I have been using for the last month or so, since I am trying to lose weight. There is no cream in sight, using low fat milk and fat reduced cheese. One sixth of this dish is 136 calories. I use a small casserole dish, so one sixth is bugger all, but I still get a taste.

Potato Bake

4 potatoes, sliced 
1 onion, sliced
1/2 cup low fat milk
3/4 cup fat reduced cheese, grated
paprika
pepper/salt

Arrange potato and onion in layers in a casserole dish.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour milk over.
Scatter cheese and paprika on top.

Cook covered in a microwave on high for 6 minutes.
Cook uncovered on medium/50% for 10 minutes.
Put the lid back on and give it another 5 minutes on high.

Serve!


17 comments:

  1. Yum. I love potato bake and I love my microwave what a match made in heaven!! Why I never thought to microwave it before I will never know!! This is on my menu this week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. This is quick and easy when you don't know what to have. Usually the ingredients are always there.

      Delete
  2. It's ages since I have made potato bake. Thanks for reminding me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Potato is deadset my favourite food. I could eat potato bake for every meal...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore potato bake but have restricted it to Christmas only as it is just too naughty with all that cream. How do you find this one compares taste wise? I'm just asking because I've made a low fat one in the past and my kids hated it!!!! But I will have to give this one a go - fingers crossed they will like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made it tonight and it smells yummy! Thanks for the dinner inspiration :-)

      Delete
  5. looks great, but where's the bacon bits!?!? :) probably would have to take the "low fat" tag off it then ;-) ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bacon would be awesome in it. My non diet self would have bacon and cream and lots of it!!

      Delete
  6. This looks so good. I'm going to put it on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. It's one of my go to quick sides, when I want something other than mash.

      Delete
  7. I make one exactly the same. It is a hot favourite in winter in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm cheese and potatoes! What's not to love?! Thanks for hosting Alicia and have a great week :)

    Paula
    lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum!! I love potato bake but would have never thought to try it in the microwave. Will have to give your recipe a whirl because I don't usually put paprika in either, but it sounds nicer with. Thanks for hosting :)

    Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot quicker in the microwave than making it in the oven. I am usually deciding what to make for dinner at the last minute, so this is quick :)

      Delete

Thanks for so much visiting, and even more so for leaving a friendly comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...